Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Winter in Florida

I can't believe 2010 is almost over. This year just flew by. There is snow up north and frost here in Florida. Our heat hasn't stopped all morning.

Today I am officially middle aged. I don't feel different, but I am glad I don't have to look at myself. Aside from the getting older part, I feel so loved on my birthday. We had a party with my parents and the boys Sunday night. My mom made one of my favorites, taco salad, and my parents gave me a sweet card and gifts. Josh's card was so touching. Brandon and Brent gave me candles that smell so good I want to eat them. I also got a 2011 calendar, which I needed. I've already scribbled all over it.

Conrad saved his gift to me for my actual birthday, and I couldn't wait to open it. He gave me a laptop! I'm getting used to it. I'll appreciate not having to wait for someone to get off the computer! The hard part has been trying to figure out my passwords (uh oh!).

Jacob doesn't feel well today; surprisingly, it's not allergies. I think he has the stomach flu, poor thing, so no school today.

The month of November was hectic and rewarding. I had a piano recital, and although nine people could not attend, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad we did it, even if we were a small group. The kids were awesome! The following weekend my son's violin teacher had a recital. I was accompanying a student, so I was nervous, but it turned out to be enjoyable. One of Jacob's friends, also my piano student, was in the recital. He surprised and impressed me by playing his cello so well! Afterward, we went to eat with them and played at the park until dark. Brandon and Brent's dad showed up with his family and they went to Olive Garden together. Brent's performance was AMAZING! He chose a tough piece and blew me---all of us---away! Wow! My wonderful parents came to both my recital and Brent's. They are so supportive and I really appreciate them.

Brandon and Brent are taking final exams this week, so I'm praying continually for them. They just rented an apartment across from their college so they won't have that long drive every day. They lived with my parents this semester. It was nice knowing my parents could ask the boys for help if they needed it. Brent quit violin lessons, which is so sad. I guess he's been taking lessons for about 9 years now and wants to focus on college. When I quit piano lessons, I stayed motivated and challenged by playing for church and the choir, and I hope Brent finds something that motivates him and keeps him playing.

I need to get ready for Christmas! I hope to get the tree up today. We have a few performances this month through our church, band, a friend's program for a local hospital, and our homeschool group.

We went to Cracker Christmas. I enjoy walking around outside under the huge moss laden oak trees in the beautiful brisk, sunshiny weather. I love to browse the homemade crafts and eat fresh hot salty-sweet kettle corn. We wandered around the pioneer area where blacksmiths were heating iron until it was red hot, and hammering it into shapes, like tools and potracks. People dressed like pioneers from 1800's were making soap and rope. Jacob chewed sugar cane while we watched them make cane syrup.

Our church had a Christmas party. The food was delicious, and the brilliant planner had a huge slide outside for the kids so the adults could stay inside and talk where it was quiet and warm. There were so many friends I wanted to talk to that I ran out of time.

No comments: