Sunday, December 26, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a Warm Christmas







Christmas morning, it was still dark, but I woke up and flew out of bed almost at the same moment so I could get fill up the eight stockings before Jake got up. He came out about half an hour later, and we all opened our stockings (including the dog). We packed up the other four boys' stockings to take to them. We opened our gifts under the tree, and finally got ready for church.

Church was such a blessing! Everyone was dressed beautifully and was so friendly and loving. A couple of friends gave me gifts! There was a lot of beautiful music, and I was in the audience and able to just sit with the family, relax, and enjoy. I usually like to saunter out of church, talking and hugging friends as I slowly wind my way through the crowd; but Conrad rushed and nagged me until I finally got into the car. Then we rushed home and scrambled to get all the presents and food packed.

We all converged on my parents for Christmas lunch. My family is vegetarian, so I spent Christmas Eve happily puttering about the kitchen, and we contributed green bean casserole (reheated so the fried onions would get nice and crunchy), yellow squash casserole (Conrad suddenly loves squash), pumpkin cranberry bread, dill bread, sugar cookies, buckeyes and supplies for our family's favorite hot spicy fruit drink, wassail. My mom bought a vegetarian roast and made mashed potatoes and gravy, toasted french bread, a corn dish, and lots of pies! Wow, we were all stuffed. Our boys were going on to another meal--Brandon and Brent were going to their dad's for supper and Juddy and Josh were going home for supper (made by Juddy's girlfriend Annie) with Annie's mom and aunt.

Today---the day-after Christmas---we did a ton of laundry and I cleaned up. We are enjoying our Christmas gifts. I have to send one back. For the first time ever, Jacob and I made homemade pretzels. They were a lot of fun and delicious!

No comments: