Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Peanut Butter and Chocolate

Peanut butter and chocolate is a scary-delicious combination. I rarely combine them because I don't want to test my willpower. Christmas was an exception. I mean, if there's ever an occasion for treats you shouldn't eat, Christmas is it! Thankfully, my son made Buckeyes recently and followed the recipe diligently, but they were so soft and gooey that they looked like mini cow pies. They must have tasted terrific though, because they disappeared. I thought the problem must have been our peanut butter, which is natural organic and very runny. I found a Smart Balance chunky peanut butter and decided to see how that worked. I couldn't find a recipe I was totally happy with--other recipes ask for a lot of powdered sugar and butter and omit the graham cracker, but I prefer the texture with it. So I used 2 cups peanut butter, 1 cup graham cracker crumbs and 2 cups powdered sugar. I had to mix it in my food processor because it got very stiff. Then I made small balls and put them in a wax paper-lined container and refrigerated them for an hour, then I dipped them in melted chocolate chips and put them back in the refrigerator. WOW! I highly recommend these! And if you're afraid of eating too many, this recipe can be cut in half:)

No comments: