Saturday, July 10, 2010

July 2010

Conrad is currently happy in his retirement because he's wrapped up in a project--renovating the kitchen. It seems complicated to me, because we're not just replacing the cabinets--that would be easy. He's changing everything about the kitchen. There's a lot of details to consider. He's moving the stove to a different wall, so he had to consider the proper outlet for that; he's moving the vent, all the light switches, putting in new overhead lights, under cabinet lights, outlets, moving the phone and dishwasher. He's been sawing and hacking away at the cabinets and walls every day (except Sabbath). We had short cabinets attached to drywall boxes, and he removed the boxes so our taller cabinets will fit, and had to sheetrock the areas. After covering our house with drywall dust mixed with whoknowswhat, he hung plastic all around the kitchen, which helped a lot. He's been removing the popcorn ceiling. I am allergic to something and developed a head to toe rash, then swelling, and all my joints ache. I finally got smart and took Benadryl and feel much better--still have fat sausage feet, so it hurts to walk-- but it was quite a miserable week stuck at home! I am impressed with Conrad's energy and organization. He has been so methodical! I feel useless and am looking forward to being able to use the kitchen again. The whole house is a mess, because everything that was in the kitchen is spread everywhere. Our cabinets are being delivered on our 14th anniversary, and we don't know where we're going to put them. After the kitchen cabinets are put in, Conrad will be putting in a tile backsplash and cork flooring. We still haven't ordered countertop. The counter I like is quartz and is $70/sf. I'm now considering cheaper countertop, because we've spent so much on cabinets, new appliances, lights, and haven't bought backsplash or floor. The prices at Lowes are outrageous.

Conrad has been taking Jacob and some friends to band camp every morning. It's been a wonderful opportunity for Jacob! I teach piano lessons during band camp on Monday and Tuesday, and I was going to take them Wednesday, but was too miserable to do much of anything because of this annoying allergy. I was just a useless, swollen, achy, painful lump. I look forward to a better week!

No comments: