Thursday, July 15, 2010

Anniversary and Kitchen

Today is Thursday, so we're far enough into the week for me to safely say, "This week has been so much better than last week"! I feel normal now that I'm on Benadryl. I thought I caught Jacob's cold too, but after a couple Advil yesterday, felt great.

Monday, Jacob was fooling around with a friend and broke his front tooth. I was very upset. Tuesday, our dentist did a beautiful job repairing it. You'd never know, and Jacob looks like Jacob again.

Yesterday, Wednesday, was our 14th anniversary on the 14th! About 30 boxes of kitchen cabinets were delivered and now tower in our family room. Conrad said, "Happy anniversary!" The installer is taking a look at the kitchen next week, and will schedule installation after that.

We still haven't ordered counters. The numbers from Lowes just don't add up. I don't trust them anymore, because the prices keep going up, and they can't explain why. For instance, I wanted a couple of black cabinets. When we were ready to order, Lowes showed us a chocolate door. I had to prove to them from the manufacturer's book that they really do sell actual black cabinets. After hunting around, the black door was found. Oh, guess what? The black costs more than the brown. That makes no sense to me, black paint versus brown paint, but I went with the cheaper brown. Whatever. Not happy. I repeatedly asked for a turned leg (or two) for under the bar, and after ordering the cabinets, I got home and called to verify if it was ordered in black. Not only was it not ordered in black, but a fluted instead of turned leg was ordered. Wrong leg, wrong color. Of course the leg I wanted was $80 more, making it well over $300 for one leg. I decided to find the leg and paint myself and save $200. It was apparently too late to change the leg order (even though over the next two week I got subsequent e-mails from the company stating that they were starting work on our cabinets). Lowes are supposed to give us a refund. I'm curious to see if that happens, or if I have to pay some sort of restocking fee. We ordered the cabinets without getting a line item pricing, and I'm kicking myself for being so stupid. Lowes does pricing "points" instead of actual figures. I feel like we overpaid and trust is gone. Onto the countertop.

Here at home, Conrad has made great progress in the kitchen. Last week was all about the electricals and moving the phone. Now he's down to sanding where he puttied the new sheetrock together, and painting (although it will all eventually be covered by cabinets and backsplash).

For our anniversary, we had dinner at our favorite restaurant, Thai Paradise, while the boys gorged themselves on takeout pizza. Thai Paradise spoils me for every other restaurant. I got my usual, spicy green curry, and Conrad decided to branch out and try the spicy drunken noodles. He was thoughtful and ordered vegetarian so I could try some. It was delicious! It tasted like teriyaki. When he got the bill, Conrad said, "You're a cheap date!" I was being funny and responded, "And I'm easy too." But Conrad with his hearing problem said, "What?" I said it a little louder (but not really funny anymore), and he said "What?" so I yelled, "I SAID I'M EASY!" and then realized everyone heard me. So much for being funny. I'm going to start carrying pen and paper to communicate with him.

No comments: