Saturday, September 25, 2010

Getting Back To Normal



Counters were put in this week! I was looking forward to having a kitchen sink. Who knew it would turn out to be 3 days' work for poor Conrad. The new faucet was defective; when the counter installers pushed the dishwasher back, they disconnected a hose; our old disposal didn't work and had to be replaced, and there was leakage from the pipes. Let's just say water gushed from every imaginable spot. Conrad worked on it Tues. and Wed., which was his birthday. He finally took a break for supper, and the 4 older boys came home so the whole family was together for Chinese takeout birthday dinner. It was really nice. The sink still leaks a little occasionally, but it's usable. The new sink is so deep that I feel like I'm reaching into a hole!

I spent a lot of time sorting through things, getting rid massive amounts of stuff, putting things away and cleaning drywall dust off everything. It's slow progress, but even baby steps toward cleanliness and order lift my spirits! I don't know what to do with Conrad's clutter, and there's a lot of it.

Jacob's schooling has been hectic! By the time I can relax in the evening, I'm exhausted. He is doing a lot of great things though. He is loving his dad's marine science homeschool high school co-op class. Conrad spends many hours preparing and trying to make it as interesting and hands-on as possible. They had a field trip Friday at the river. I missed out on the sunshine, fresh air and chatting with my friends, because I knew I needed a day at home alone, cleaning up, more. "I'm a strange person," I thought to myself.

It's the end of "CMT Awareness Week". I had grand plans to post a CMT fact on Facebook every day, but after posting twice, couldn't think of anything else to say! Unbelievable. I'm actually not that comfortable talking about it either. Anyway, if all 200 of my friends actually read what I posted, then they know more now than they did before. Small comfort. My CMT is affecting me personally with my right foot drop and hands, especially my right hand. My hands are becoming paralyzed and it's really hard to play the piano if I have to reach up to the black notes with paralyzed fingers! That is a little depressing. Stairs have been hard for me for years, and it seems like everything Jacob goes to require me to pull myself up stairs! I look at them with fear and trepidation, sigh, and switch all my stuff to my left side and pull up the rail with my right. It's slow and embarrassing, especially if I'm in a group of friends (which is almost always). I feel bad for whoever is trapped behind me too.

I'm happy with my life. I enjoy it thoroughly and am blessed with a loving family.

No comments: