Friday, April 30, 2010

It's Allergy Season!

I have wrapped up our school year early! It's only April, and we got Jacob's California Achievement Test results back (he did awesome!) and my friend evaluated him. I need a copy of her Florida's teacher's certificate before I can mail the evaluation to the county school board. I hope I don't forget to send it! I also have to create a Jacob yearbook page for our homeschool group. We make homemade yearbooks every year, and they're just precious.

My computer crashed, and my wonderful husband has been working hard to find our pictures that were on the old hard drive. If worst comes to worst, I'll create a yearbook scrapbook page with photo prints, and take it to a color copier. I did that in 2008 when my computer crashed. 2008 was even worse because I was also creating homemade graduation invitations for Brent, and had to go to my parents and use their computer to make them. It was a real hassle and very time consuming, but they turned out beautifully. Still, this kind of deja vu I could do without!

My digital camera started taking streaky red photos after I deleted pictures off the memory card, so we bought a new memory card and it seems to be okay. I'm so relieved I don't have to replace the camera! I know how to work this one.

Jacob turned 12 on April 13. We had a fun little family party (12 of us) at my parents house. One of Jacob's friends was able to celebrate with us, and they jumped on the trampoline, drove the golf cart and went swimming. The following weekend we had a small sleepover with two of Jacob's friends. The boys were noisy and energetic and didn't want to sleep, but they were good kids. They were respectful, obedient, and got along with each other. Conrad did a lot! He cooked supper and breakfast, took them for a long walk in the dark, and stayed up with them long after I conked out at 10:00. We took them to my parents for the trampoline, golf cart and pool. It was a lot of fun.

Jacob and Conrad are spending the summer hiking the Appalachian Trail. I have a hole in my heart when I think of how much I will miss them! We want to replace our old van with something newer. I hoped to find something that they could drive to Atlanta, but since Conrad doesn't seem interested enough to actually go look at anything, I guess it'll wait until they get back. They were supposed to leave Thursday, but Wednesday afternoon Jacob's allergies kicked off a severe asthma attack and we had to rush him to the emergency room. It was very scary, but we are grateful they weren't on the Appalachian Trail when it happened. They will be carrying meds and Conrad bought SPOT, which is a GPS locator with a 911 button. I will be tracking them every day.

Conrad suffered from allergies and asthma for several weeks, but is finally better. Even I'm taking Zyrtec because I've been so miserable the past couple of weeks. I feel so much better today that I think I'll do some treadmill. I'm a little stir crazy--bored and energetic. Here it is, absolutely gorgeous outside, but the more time we spend outside, the more miserable we are. I want to go swimming at my parents! I want to ride bikes! I want to go to the beach! Instead, I'm staying inside with Jacob today. I'm telling myself to be patient and enjoy my time with him.

No comments: