Wednesday, April 29, 2009

End of School


The end is in sight. We're in a flurry of activity as school is ending in about three weeks. I am wrapping up this school year with finishing Jacob's portfolio and evaluation; last drama and art show; last band concert; and making a yearbook page for our annual Homeschool Exchange yearbook, which will culminate with a party.

I'm wrapping up our home homeschool classes too--reviewing math, to make sure he remembers everything he's learned thus far and tying up American history. We just started Jacob's grammar and writing books, and they will be continued next August when we start 6th grade.

I'm ready for next school year. Conrad is excited about teaching science, which is one of his many passions. I'm excited about delving into ancient civilizations--Chinese, Egyptians, Greek, Roman-- and if we have time, moving into medieval times, and studying King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable. We've hardly been to the library this year, and I plan on depending on it heavily for history next year. I also have found some pretty amazing websites, with terrific pictures, games and projects. I can't wait to get started.

As far as summer plans, we've signed Jacob up for a couple of camps. He's going away to our Adventist camp for the first time. We used to send our older four boys every year, and Brent was the only one who didn't like it. I think Jacob will love it. He's going with a friend, which makes me feel a lot better. I also signed him up for an archaeology camp with a friend, that is hosted by our local college. I'm still looking at other camps (cooking, drama, surf), but that's a start.

Jacob is definitely growing up. Like an echo of his brothers before him, he asked me not to sign him up for camps without talking to him first. There was a time that he was up for everything, and now he's getting pickier.

No comments: