Monday, February 23, 2009

Karate Test

Jacob's karate studio closed down, due to the economy, after being in our neighborhood for over 20 years. Jacob began this Korean-style karate called Soo Bahk Do at East Winds Karate when he was 5 years old, and worked hard to become a midnight blue belt (black-belt equivalent in other styles) in Oct. 2007. It was crushing for all of us when his studio closed. We decided to try the karate classes at the YMCA where we are members, and he likes it. It is Shorin Ryu Japanese style, and is similar to his previous style, but different enough to be fresh, exciting and new for Jacob. He does have to start at the bottom again, which disappointed him for about 5 seconds. He is delighted that a couple of friends are taking the class with him. Jacob was scheduled for his first white-belt test this past Sunday. First of all, I was so relieved that Sabbath testing was not going to be an issue as it had been with Soo Bahk Do. However, Jacob had been sick since Thursday, so I was worried about his energy level and ability to exert himself. He was feeling better on Saturday. For the first time, I didn't have to give him Advil to keep his fever down, and it only peaked at 101 and by evening came down to normal, so I knew he was finally over it, but he had no energy, which worried me. We decided to go ahead and give it a try since it was only a little white belt test. We fully expected this to take about half an hour and not be physically demanding, so headed down to Melbourne at 8:45 a.m. Sunday morning without breakfast, planning to eat out afterwards. Boy, did we get it wrong! We discovered that they were planning on taking 3 hours, and 21 students were participating. I was horrified. I just didn't see how Jacob would survive working out for 3 hours when he had just been sick and without breakfast. We decided that we would try it, and if he couldn't do it, he could leave and test another time. Amazingly, the test lasted from 9:30 to 1:00, with me writhing with guilt the whole time (still am). I kept my eye on Jacob for signs of paleness and passing out, but he did fine with no food or water. I wish I had made him a soy banana strawberry smoothie, but am so proud of him for being so strong and brave, and he passed his test with flying colors.

No comments: